Thursday, February 28, 2002

Yesterday I was talking to some friends about how we judge people. About how we objectify, stereotype and categorize them. I’m talking about the people that we meet in social settings, as potential friends and peers, not like bus drivers and the like.

posted by The Wizard



Hey, I used to have a friend who was a bus driver, back off. I know YOU immediately stereotype people, or at least look for characteristics of a certain stereotype right?

posted by Tin Man



It’s easy and natural I suppose. Usually you can pretty much start with ethnicity and build certain preconceptions from there. I guess it’s sad but it’s also a fact of life that people need categories to organize things in their head. It’s a basic survival trait I think. It’s hard wired in. But for me, I rather like the people who seem to fit one stereotype but then have an air of dissonance about them that makes them interesting. Like someone who might wear big ass hoop earrings but seems like they wouldn’t.

posted by The Wizard



How quickly does all this happen? Over hours? Days? Is this on a purely physical style level or do you get to interact with them?

posted by Tin Man



This all happens very quickly. Like within a few minutes, the first meeting or so. I mean, you learn more things as you talk to people but I like trying to figure someone out right away. From purely physical shallow style attributes.

posted by The Wizard





Ah, you are what you wear.

posted by Tin Man



Close enough. I think half the fun of it though is to find out what niches people don’t fit into. Then again, some people come off as one huge stereotype. Those people tend to be rather boring. Or trying too hard. Or both.

posted by The Wizard



So when you dig deeper, what are you looking for? Are you trying to deconstruct them so you can figure them out and get an edge?

posted by Tin Man



No, not really. It’s just interesting to see how people are put together and to find out the reasoning behind how they came to be a certain way.

posted by The Wizard



So what’s your stereotype?

posted by Tin Man



I dunno…..you tell me. I get “loser” a lot, does that count?

posted by The Wizard



No, I asked what your stereotype was, not what you actually were.

posted by Tin Man



Ha, funny. Your third grade witticisms slay me. Not.

0 comments: