Wednesday, February 20, 2002

Went out last night to eat dinner with my mom and a family friend, Arlene ai-yi (how do you spell that?) and her daughter Katherine. We went to Emerald and as any San Diego-ite knows, it’s one of two places for weekend dim sum. In all these years here, I’ve never been to Emerald except to eat dim sum. It was crazy empty of course, it being a Tuesday night. My mom saw all these family friends there and there was this one uncle who was my dad’s friend from high school or something, and a mother of someone we went to La Jolla Country Day with. It’s weird to meet all these parents and to have some vague recollection of who they are without really knowing but trying to pretend that you do. The Chinese community everywhere is so small and parents know just about everything about each other.



It must feel a little strange to be not of that circle, I mean, for other parents and adults. It’s like you walk into a restaurant or something and chances are you’ll know a few people but I wonder what it feels like to be an adult and not part of that social circle. I never used to conceive of adults and stuff as “people” with social circles and dramas and stuff like that. They were always just “so and so’s parents.” Being in England was the first time I’ve really had to interact with people who are significantly older than me. I had to see these forty-ish something people as individuals and not part of some collective “old people” category. It was a little strange actually but also very interesting to learn that "hey, old people are people too!"



Went out with Hong to a jazz spot downtown called Onyx. I was really tired and I almost fell asleep a few times but it seemed pretty dope. I like jazz a lot and I like listening/watching it but I was just out of it and had to just work at keeping upright. Will have to go back there to check it out some other time when I’m more alert.

0 comments: