Tuesday, February 19, 2002

“As a matter of fact, the person who loves everybody and feels at home everywhere is the true hater of mankind. He expects nothing of men, so no form of depravity can outrage him.”

-fountainhead-



I’ve thought about these few lines for a long time and about the underlying principle of this idea. It’s a tough thing to grasp because I feel that while there ought to be immutable standards, people should be judged upon their own sets of values. That allows me to accept people as what they are and who they are. But, the logic behind this principle makes such clear sense to me.

posted by The Wizard



Well, it should. Without guidelines, everyone would live in a relative world and everything would just be okay because everything can be justified.

posted by Tin Man



But that seems so harsh…I mean, how is it possible to establish a set of rules for everyone? And who determines what these rules are? It seems a little arbitrary to me really. Do as you do I say.

posted by The Wizard



That’s all fine and dandy but eventually you’re gonna have to think that this kind of haphazard philosophy will only lead to people who are unaccountable and unreliable. The world will be thrown into chaos. There are actions that are just unacceptable. Objective rights and wrongs do exist.

posted by Tin Man



Well, yeah, some things are definitely wrong I guess, but then again, nothing is really wrong all the way across. Exceptions emerge from any group of standards. I mean, isn’t one love about loving people for what they are and accepting them lock stock and barrel?

posted by The Wizard



You can do that of course but think of it this way, in order to do that, you have to lower your morals and standards to the ultimate lowest point in order to have no expectations.

posted by Tin Man



Isn’t love about forgiveness and understanding?

posted by The Wizard



That’s where you’re completely wrong, love is about reverence and worship and glory. Love is not some sort of “feeble stew (made) out of sympathy, compassion, contempt and general indifference…” Love is “total passion for the total height.”

posted by Tin Man



I guess that makes sense but I don’t know if I’m capable of that, or if I even want to be like that. There seems to be a lot of judgements inherent in your idea of love. It sounds like love has be earned.

posted by The Wizard



Well, love isn’t free, it doesn’t need to be handed out to anybody passing by does it?

posted by Tin Man



I dunno, I’ll have to think about that one.

0 comments: