Tuesday, February 12, 2002

I’ve learned this past weekend that liberal arts colleges are a very different place. I went to a huge 30,000 person (it would be a sham to say 30,000 students) university. Michigan is a top public school, full of too many people caught up in their own little worlds. I feel like a liberal arts education kind of makes you more worldly. That’s the point obviously of a liberal education. Of course, there are many people I know from big schools that have a sense of awareness but that is only if they go looking for it. People from liberal arts colleges seem like they have to know more…more about history, more about theory, more about how the world connects and interacts, more stuff. Now, I don’t know many people from liberal arts colleges so I can only generalize and make assumptions based on my own perceptions and conceptions. I’m very glad I went to a huge school but I do wonder about what having a liberal education would have been like.



A question I have is how much of a product we are of our universities. Obviously, by choosing a particular college, people are already making a preference even before they arrive at campus but I wonder if being at a specific institution reinforces or constructs. Surrounding yourself with the same types of people enhances and sharpens you but it can also be a creative force, nudging you in directions that may or may not be really “you.” I think going to any different campus would make a dramatic effect on people because each campus breeds it’s own culture and bubble in which to live in. It’s like, all my friends are like THIS so it’s hard to conceptualise something else but for someone at a small private college, their bubble is entirely different. Once again, I am rambling but let me leave you with this pearl of wisdom.....



Gentrification is a very popular word at liberal arts colleges. Everything is related to gentrification. Learn it, use it, sound smart, break out of your public school shell, be liberal.....

0 comments: