Saturday, August 17, 2002

eyes wide open. i dumped my contacts down the drain last night. on accident of course. i forgot that i had put them away in the case and as per my bedtime routine, i brushed, flossed, washed my face and rinsed out my case. halfway through the gargling, i wondered where my contacts went. in a moment of panic, i realized i had tossed them into the sink and now the little blue jewels were swimming with the fishes.



so this morning i was forced to wake up at the crack of ten and go to the optometrist. my eyes are...too small. apparently, my deer in headlights look is pretty similar to my normal look. and the guy had a hell of a time trying to take a picture of my cornea. he had to stick his hands into my eye, force open my eyelids-- all while my eyes were drying out from exposure-- and then try to take a picture. we spent at least twenty minutes trying to get my eyes wide enough so that he could get a decent shot.



they gave me a set of disposable soft contacts to wear for the next week and i had a momentary flicker of fear as i pulled out the contacts to put on. soft contacts are very large. my eyes are very small. bad combination. add a semi-cute assistant who was watching me and trying to teach me, and i was a little hesitant to be stabbing little rubbery things into my eye. the whole reason i even got gas permeable contacts in the first place was because many years ago, nobody could fit a soft contact onto my eyeball. i thought of the millions of tries it might take me to get it on now and kind of wished they had just let me try them on at home. in the privacy of my own frustration and embarassment. luckily, i got them on after only ten minutes. which means either my eyes are getting bigger or my eye poking is getting that much better. small victories can be found anywhere if you look hard enough.

0 comments: