Wednesday, July 10, 2002

"Blessed is he who makes his companions laugh"

-The Holy Koran-



Just a question...



What makes having friends so great?



Most people will say its for the companionship, the comraderie, the fact that you can be yourself in front of someone and they won't laugh or make fun of you. And some may say that its just cause people don't want to be alone in life...they need other people to survive.



I can dig all those statements...but how many of those people that you call your "friend" can you trust? How many of those people do you every now and then keep things from because you know they wouldn't understand? How many of those people that are your so-called "friends" have stolen something from you be it lover or property?



So now tell me whats the deal with having friends?



My opinion...very few people should ever have the privilage of being called a "friend".



When you call someone your "friend", in my opinion, you are almost calling them your brother or sister. They can often be closer than blood. You are purposely allowing them to have access to your deepest fears and desires. You are giving them a license to be real with you and to expose your insecurities to them. A "friend" is someone who you trust beyond trust.



Now how many of you can say that you have a "friend"



With the above definition many of you may be saying..."damn, I don't have nobody"...my next question is...



What does that say about you?



It says that you haven't thought too long and hard about the people that you consider "friends". Before you think I'm all high and mighty let me tell you...I have learned the hard way when it comes to friends. I am here to admit that I do not have a lot of friends...and frankly I don't want any more than I have. I like associates. Basically thats what most peoples "friends" are anyway.



I mean for instance if you can't tell your so-called "friend" that you are gay...then they are not a "friend".



A friend is someone who will stand by you through thick and thin. A friend is someone who is down for you and has your back...and will go through the fire with you. A friend is someone who will love you no matter who or what you are. And a friend tells you the truth...no matter how brutal. But more than that...a friend is someone who you are comfortable in going through these things with....and in the end...when the smoke clears...you still love that person and they are still considered your "friend".



The word "friend" like the word "love" has power. When you bestow the title of "friend" on someone you are giving them entry into your life. And there is nothing wrong with that. But make sure that you are giving someone who is going to live up to that title a chance before you give it to any old person.



Ultimately what I'm saying is be cautious....



Pick and choose your "friends" wisely...cause a "friend" of today...can be an enemy of tomorrow...

-forgot who i got it from-

0 comments: