Wednesday, July 11, 2001

I've been struggling recently with my prospects for the future. As of now, after my degree is finished in December, i have no concrete direction to go in. Recently, i've felt the inspiration to be a writer. Perhaps for magazines, perhaps short stories, perhaps novels. I'm trying to compose my thoughts and practice my literary skills but having done this in the past, i know that i will soon hit a mental roadblock. Even when i sit down to write poetry, the moment of inspiration quickly passes, leaving me with a few good lines and a confusing swirl of mental excess. I think what i would like to do best is to create something through writing, be it a world or a series of novels where my characters can live and breathe. I had always wanted to write a witty, non-fictional account of the life of a 20-something but i realize that besides being overdone, that particular genre already has it's groundbreaking new authors (Dave Eggers of "A Heart Breaking Work of Staggering Genius" comes to mind).



So i'm kind of stuck in a rut. The film side of me is still there but i'm beginning to see that as a longer and longer road. I think maybe i'll try to go to the Asian American Writer's Workshop to gauge and evaluate whether being a writer is a viable alternative for my future.

0 comments: