Monday, August 28, 2006

bay to breakers. "how is it living up north?" basically the answer is that it's exactly the same. usually moving to a new city and a new area entices you to explore and expand your horizons. instead i've spent the past two weeks acclimating myself to another cookie cutter suburban area and trying to establish all the amenities that i had in san diego. nearby jamba juice? check. boba shops? check. costco and cheap hawaiian food? check. the only thing i'm having trouble finding is a shaved ice place and a panda express. by september i hope to copy my entire previous life in southern california and replicate it here. what do they say about people when they turn old? they become stodgy and crotchety? i already had crotchety in spades, now i'm working on the stodgy.

after i settle in i plan to implement my "expand and conquer" mindset. the one where i visit the city a lot, make new friends, jump start my writing career, and simply take over the peninsula of san francisco. then again, i could just settle into my comfortable life in fremont and become lost in the morass that is middle class suburbia. aren't i too young for this? shouldn't i want to explore a hip happening city? instead i find myself tired out even by the prospect of wandering the aisles of target -- for the third time this week.

is my mind an exploratory young twenties but my body a lazy late fifties? it could be possible.

0 comments: