Friday, May 16, 2003

we got fellas to my left, hunnies on my right. isn't it funny? everyone has their tight little group of "boys" or "girls." these are commonly referred to as "my boys" or "my girls." do not confuse these with "the guys" or "the girls." using "the" means it's just a gathering of single sexed people. using "my" connotes that these people are special. these people are above reproach. we put our identification into the "my." a little part of them is imbedded in us. and versa vice. no matter what these people do, we are behind them. got their backs if you're semi-cool and semi-hardcore. "i got your back man." but this is not funny.



what is funny is how much we defend and make exceptions and overlook things with our boys (i will be referring to boys now but also meaning girls, but since i am a manly man, i have boys and not girls). we can look around a room and make quick snapshot judgements about everyone and hear stories about some random folk, and immediately be turned off by something terrible they did. but then we see that our boy did something wrong and we're like "he had his reasons." and even if he didn't we believe that he did. being one of the boys is a big responsiblity. you must be truthful and honest and have a certain code of conduct. normally, bonds of "my" cannot be broken. except by "triangles." but we all know about that, the deadly "triangle." avoid them at all costs. "triangles" are also sometimes synonymous with "opposite sex." actually, triangles are always synonymous with opposite sex.



it gets even funnier when you apply this "my" principle to girl groupings. most girls (some? many?) have a few girls that they can call "theirs." usually three or four. any larger and you start getting into "issues." as confucius say, three or more girls in one basket equals ruckus and chaos. so usually a girl will have their foursome of "my girls." any other girl is subject to normal cattiness. but my girls are not.



an example of this type of positive double standard is when girls get dressed to go out. a my girl can wear whatever the hell they want, exposing whatever the hell they please and a fellow my girl will go "damn girl, you look good, you look sexy, um hum, amen." as soon as they step out into the street and see another girl dressed similarly, they go, "damn hooch. damn ho. damn what is she doing that stuck up snob? ditzy airhead." a minor example but an encompassing one.



my girls are zion, the last human stronghold. they must be defended at all costs. a tight cohesive unit of girls is a powerful thing indeed. one thinks one thing, they all think the same thing. you upset one, you upset them all. the bonds of my girls runs deep. deeper than skin even. although my girls are usually more susceptible to blowupage than my guys. once a crack in the foundation is revealed, my girls are quick to splinter. with guys, it's less so. this is a broad broad overgeneralization on my part but it's my personal observation. once a girl thinks that she has a good reason to hold a grudge, it's over. never will she forgive, never will she forget. she can't be the same person anymore. you violate a trust and you're out. guys are more stupid, they are willing to let bygones be bygones.



and why the importance of my guys and my girls? because.......because. birds of a feather must flock together. and having my boys or my girls validates your ability to get along with your same gender. even if you only have four girl friends and a bajiillion guy friends. in the end, we still need "mine." does any of this make sense to anyone? i hope so. because it makes an awful lot of sense to me. but then again, i always make sense to me. sometimes things get lost in the translation though.



the point i wanted to make was. to be a "my" person, someone has to exhibit some qualities that you find in yourself. to be a "my boy" there is a connection where you feel like you can trust them and relate to them on a deep level. at the same time, you also clearly see and understand and accept their shortcomings. there is also a "my boy" created from historical importance, where you have just known each for so damn long and gone through so damn much that they become "my boy" based on general principle and historical proximity. but this is not what i am talking about. i am talking about "my boys" that are made and created through blood sweat tears. mostly sweat actually.



we may be told to be an army of one. but an army of one gets slaughtered real fast. so remember, the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.



yo.

0 comments: