Monday, May 25, 2009

Bacchanal

Things found out this weekend. Well, my super power for one, which I have to admit, I've maybe heard before. That's the next game I'm going to play with myself, or maybe with others. What super power does so-and-so possess? This was a long awaited event, Lynn's bachelorette party. It might be the first and only bachelorette party I'm going to attend so I had to treasure it.

I was pretty excited for everyone to come together and have a fantastic time and barring some hiccups here and there, it was really pretty marvelous. I mean, I'm ready to nitpick at just about anything (I can't even tell if I'm negative or just observant, maybe it's a matter of perspective) but just about everything you could hope for to happen during a long weekend happened.

Great group of people, check. Good logistics and planning, check. Lots of activities, check. Night of awesome dancing and drinking, check. Bonding time, check. DDT, check. Music and singing, check. And candlelight, check. Fabulous food, check. Video games, check. Board games, check. Something new, check. Pretty much the weekend was a huge rousing success and it will probably be carried on in memory for quite some time.

Even amongst the gripes, the debriefings, the dramas and mini-dramas, the thing that really sticks out to me is how often these amazing moments get to happen. I don't know if this is something that's normal or not normal, but I feel like we're all really blessed to have these huge great moments every few months.

I know it's presumptous to think that people don't necessarily always have this, but I'm not sure if everyone does after a certain point. And the fact that this can keep happening for whatever reason, is probably cause for celebration itself.

George suggested a great tie-breaker for our two team "Who knows Lynn better trivia game" and it consisted of chronologically ordering everyone in the room by who's known Lynn the longest. Semi-surprisingly, I met Lynn the earliest, like 1996, two weeks into freshman year. We were in the same big sib little sib family for the Chinese Cultural Association or whatnot. I don't think either of us remember each other really but I do know she was definitely on the list. I continued doing things with my "family" and she never showed up again

Our paths wouldn't really cross again until sophmore year, when Hong happened to be in her dance and then ended up stalking her for a few months. One of the ways he tried to woo her was by getting one of those twisty cap, sippy, plastic cups. You know what I'm talking about? They were really popular back then. So Hong got her a Little Mermaid one. I remember we had to go searching long and hard for that damn thing. And she still rejected him. Well, at least until next year. Persistence and Little Mermaid, that's apparently the ticket.

I didn't sleep much this weekend. From the time James and Steve got in at eleven-ish on Friday morning, I probably only got three or four hours a night. It felt invigorating, except for spells when I was all dizzy and couldn't see straight. But whenever there's excitement, it's like I can just keep staying up. How I can bottle this natural adrenaline push should be my next goal. I'm wondering at what point I'll just stop being able to pull a long stretch of days without much sleep. Will that signal maturedom and body breakdown?

It's actually something I never want to have to succumb to. I want to be able to pull all nighters at the drop of a hat. It makes me feel young.

0 comments: